Thursday, July 14, 2011

Date nights are dangerous!

Seriously. After the past two dates nights I've ended up in the hospital.

A month ago was to have Jacob so I guess that's okay :)

Tuesday night well that' s a different story. We went out to celebrate our 8th anniversary at Olive Garden. At 5am I went to the hospital and by noon my gallbladder was out.

Me and my love before dinner on Tuesday night.


And me today leaving the hospital at lunchtime.

A little background. Over July 4th weekend I started having "episodes"  of intense chest/stomach pain that lasted about an hour or so. I could not do anything but rock back and forth in a fetal position. I thought it was severe heartburn so I went to the doctor on the 5th to ask for some heartburn medicine. At the appointment, they did an EKG and that was fine. They gave me a referral for a sonogram to check for gall stones and some Zantac for heartburn. I didn't have an episodes for several days so I thought it was heartburn and almost cancelled my sonogram. But I didn't and went on Monday morning for it. They told me they would have the results in 2 days. I had another episode on Monday night and then Tuesday night was the big one.

On the way home from Olive Garden I could tell another episode was coming. I, again, was having severe chest and stomach pain. I could barely talk and this time I was having back pain as well. I went straight home to take my medicine and tried a bath it would not go away. I was able to feed Jacob at 9pm and then tried to rest. But the positions that I could tolerate my chest pain my back was killing and vice versa. Between the hours of 8pm and 4am I took 3 baths, wore a heating back, rolled on the exercise ball, hung on Brad's pull up bar, walked all around the house and took Maalox, Tylenol...anything to get rid of the pain. Brad would also try to massage my stomach to to see if there was trapped gas.  Brad woke up to Jacob's crying at 4am and was shocked that I was still in pain and hadn't slept. With Brads help I was able to feed Jacob. I told Brad to try to go back to bed since he was flying that day and there was nothing he could do for me. About half hour later I told him I couldn't do it anymore and we called the nurse. I told her my symptoms (was having a really hard time breathing) and she told me to go to the ER. They checked me in immediately and before the ER doctor came into see me he read the sonogram and told me right away I had moving gall stones. Based on the pain and amount of recent episodes they suggested I get it removed. They fit me in the schedule really quickly and before I knew it I was in the OR. They removed the gall bladder laparoscopically. I was pretty emotional afterwards and concerned my milk would dry up. But I was able to pump right away and as soon as I can quit taking pain medicine I hope to start nursing again.

We are so grateful that grandma and grandpa are still here! They have been champs holding down the fort. My husband also amazes me. He was balancing me, keeping everyone updates, trying to keep things semi normal at home for Chase, took care of Jacob last night and had to be in contact with work (they were great about releasing him from flying) . I love that man!!

I am home now and recovering well. My stomach is still sore and I am really tired. We have grandparents here for a few more days and I've already lined up a bunch of help for next week. Chase will have several playdates and the squadron/neighbors are bringing meals. They said it would take a good week to recover. I love modern technology - a few texts, emails, phone calls and a facebook update and I had so many people praying for me and offering help. Thank you all so much!

7 comments:

LoLo said...

How scary Janell!! You are a trooper. Glad you are feeling better and we hope you are 100% recovered soon!!

Sunflower-Family said...

You're amazing to have been in that much pain taking care of 2 little ones. Will be praying for your health!

Allison said...

Wow! Glad they were able to fit you in, so that you don't have to deal with the episodes anymore! Hope you are recovering quickly, with no complications! If anyone can handle something like this--it's you... with God's strength of course! Praying for you, friend!

Anonymous said...

So grateful you had help, even though no one likes to go through that type of pain. We will continue to pray for you. (When you were leaving the hospital, you had my shirt on:) ~~ Love, Mom

The Korsmo's said...

Oh my goodness Janell! You and the hospital have been best friends lately! So sorry you had to go through that...but thankfully the pain is gone and you have wonderful help...will pray for quick recovery :)

Jesse and Rose said...

what a rough start! I have had a gallbladder crisis before and I swear it was worse than labor! Poor Janell! I am glad you got it out. I am praying for your recovery.

jbreeden said...

You poor thing! I can relate though. It took a while to get my gall bladder diagnosed and after it was removed, I felt like a whole new woman.