Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's Missing?

This post has been in my head for a while so I figured it was finally time to get it written. We have enjoyed living overseas and it has been good for me to get out of my comfort zone but things are definitely a little different - even in countries where they speak the same language.

So in each of these pictures is something(s) missing that we have had in every other house we have lived in. A disclaimer is that we live in an old english cottage some of the newer houses might have a few more things.

So what's missing?

The main thing I miss is a water spicket (we have one in the back). I can't really wash the car. We also don't have any electrical outlets or doorbell.



This one might not be obvious- thermostat! That's right we don't have a thermostat. The heat is either on or off. So we leave it off when we go out and we come back and it is freezing!



Refrigerator

Just kidding - there is our little dorm fridge! Thank goodness the base gives us a regular size refrigerator with a freezer!
There are two things in this one...
A screen (you would think a country that doesn't have AC would have screens on their windows) and a driver vent. We have to run the dryer house out the window to dry clothes. Brrr!

Outlets and lukewarm water. Yep there are no outlets in the bathrooms. So forget nightlights, straighteners and electric shavers! There is one tap for hot and one for cold. You have about 3 seconds of hot water before you burn yourself!
Finally- a showerhead! We do have a small shower in our room but it is not uncommon to just have a bath in one or more bathrooms!

4 comments:

Metlife said...

Janelle- I can't get over your comment. That is hilarious that we posted the same thing on the same day!! Isaac is a little over 18 months and we are expecting Ann in about 7 weeks! We have the same advent calendar and train as you guys! I was loving scrolling through and seeing things. So fun that you are overseas. I could go on and on now, but I think I am only supposed to leave a "comment." :). Also we are in the midst of finding out if we will be going to the Pastor's College this Fall, interesting!

Thanks for commenting!!

Katie

Don and Barb said...

Loved your 'What's missing?'!! The even FUNNIER thing is that the 'what's missing' is what I grew up with, and didn't even seem missing. I'd forgotten so many of the things like no blended water, no shower head, no screens or doorbells; and a myriad of other things that came to mind. When Chase reads these posts as a little older child, he may not 'remember' all these things, but they'll be an extremely important part of his heritage. Keep it up!
Grandma & Grandpa Caywood

Robyn said...

Isn't living overseas FUN?! :) It makes you appreciate the U.S. just that much more! I enjoyed your post. Your cottage reminds me a lot of my sister's house in Germany. I remember she didn't have a gargage disposal, and all the old food had to go in a bucket under the sink. She had 4 trashcans on top of that to sort the garbage the way they needed to. They had to sneak trash onto the base to get rid of stuff--ha!

Jesse and Rose said...

It's all true! I agree with Robyn, the forced recycling is one change that really gets me!