Thursday, April 23, 2009

Germany

Chase is sitting right next to me and not letting me do anything else so I figured I would write an update. We are back in the UK now after a fun 2 day trip to Germany. Our plane diverted on Monday night and we found ourselves at Spangdalhem AB. There were a total of 3 families who we teamed up with to try to figure out how to get home. Even as I write this now it doesn't seem like that big of deal but in the moment when you are just so ready to be home and not sure how to get there it was a little overwhelming. Once we landed we called to Ramstein AB to see if there were any flights to Mildenhall. What luck there was one the next morning. We got a hotel on the base there and we were good to go. We called a cab who would take all of us down there for 180 Euro - not bad. We were in the cab just outside the base and the cab driver said I just got a call from my boss and it is actually going to be 250 euro. I guess they don't honor the price the quote you. So we turned around and ended up at the lodging on Spang. Lucky for us I have a couple friends there and went to dinner with the Whites and Rachael and her husband! So I actually got to see a little bit of Germany. Got up at 4am to catch a shuttle to Ramstein the next morning. We got there and signed up for flights. There were three flights going to Mildenhall but it turns out they didn't release a seat on any of them. I ended up mailing my luggage back to me here (you can ship for free from overseas base to overseas base.) You should have seen me and other guy lugging a total of 10 suitcases to the post office. I could just see them saying - this is not the airport. We did this to prepare to fly commerical. Ryan Air is pretty cheap but you are only allowed about 15 kg for checked baggage and mine was way more than that (shopping in the states was great - I did my part to help the economy). There are hefty fines for every kilo over the weight limit. We got a room close to Ramstein and headed there for a few hours. I say that because the only commerical flights were either 6:30am or 10:30pm. So we had to catch at cab at 2:15am to catch a shuttle at 2:55am to get to the airport in time for our flight. Like I said it seems simple now but there was tons of time on the computer figuring out flights - figuring out to get to the airport -figuring out who was going to pick us up. It was tiring! Then once we got on our flight there was a 30 minute delay as they had a mix up of number of passengers on the plane. I was thinking we are soo close are we going to make it?! But we did and it was good to be back. Both Chase and Wagner were so excited to see each other and we are adjusting to England time.

Chase and his "friend" Brecken for our 1o minute cab ride before they decided to jack up the price.

Hanging out at the childrens play area at the pax terminal at Ramstein. Brecken is a month younger but already a crawler. Maybe Chase will learn something from him!
Chase and his "friend" Gavin. Gavin loved Chase and was so helpful entertaining him while I was making arrangements. He loved pushing the stroller which was nice because I could not carry all my luggage by myself.
Waiting for the shuttle at 2:30am. So happy to be home!

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh the joys of Space-A. I flew to Ramstein this summer by myself with the girls, so your story is bringing back memories--and we played at that same playground VERY early in the morning one day. I'm so glad you were able to get home. I'm sure you were totally frazzled. I'm glad you had some families there to help you figure it all out!!!

Grandmom from Maryland said...

It still doesn't seem so easy when reading over your few days in Germany. Chase sure looked like he didn't have a care in the world. It sounds like you took the trip fairly well. It was great to have you here!! Love, Mom

Don and Barb said...

We're thrilled that you finally made it home safely!! Lots of prayers went up on your behalf. Was so cute seeing Wagner and Chase together!!!
On OUR part, it seemed so easy to take the day off and take you to McConnell . . and then you ended up in Germany! What a blessing to have supporting families to help out.
Was SO good to see you and Chase, and be able to spend a little time with you. We cont. to pray for you and for Brad's safe return, too!
Love & prayers, Mom and Dad